I have now completed about 4 days in Nicaragua, which have undoubtedly been some of the most overwhelming in recent history. The first 48 hours or so were extremely difficult due to very intense emotional ups and downs, ranging from sheer excitement to be doing such an exciting thing in Nicaragua to total panic and nervousness at the thought of not being able to handle my job (which starts in January) or life in general in Managua. I think I've gotten over that emotional rollercoaster for the time being. The more I see the various sites at which the other Jesuit Volunteers work, the market where we do our weekly shopping, and the more people I meet from the local community the more I feel at home here. I am very greatful to be here for 2 years, as becoming fluent in the language and building a strong network of friends within the community and job site will be a lengthy but rewarding process.
They are celebrating the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary here, is...umm...interesting to be a part of the celebration. It involves a lot of singing, some trick-or-treat time of activities, and an ungodly amount of fireworks (which are currently going off in the street outside this internet cafe). Much of the last 4 days has been spent getting to know my housemates (I have 7 of them currently, and two will be leaving in one week), our families from our barrio, and how to live in Managua.
One of the most wonderful aspects of living in a community for 2 years is that you truly become a member of the community as opposed to a transient volunteer. Our house is constantly full of visitors due to the relationships that the 2nd year and exiting volunteers have created during their time here. We have kids stopping in all day to talk and play, neighbors stopping in to say hi, etc. Today we had Fernando Cardenal, a priest and notable figure in Nicaragua's revolutionary history, over for lunch. What a wonderful opportunity to be the "guest" in a country yet welcome so many locals into your home and serve them food, drinks, conversation, and a chance to rest. I love hospitality, and this culture has it down pat.
Over the next two years I expect to miss the U.S. and all my friends and family quite a bit, so for those who feel so inclined I would like to leave my contact information with you (in addition to email):
Home phone (calling from U.S.): 011-505-278-0565
Mailing address: Apdo. LM 161, Managua, Nicaragua
Thanks for reading. Peace be upon you.
Michael (Miguel) Marchesini
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for the update, "Miguel"! Sounds like an exhusting few days! I suspect the next 2 years will be the longest/shortest of your life. I look forward to your blogs!
Forrest
Miguel,
The physical/emotional wave of overwhelm is palpable in your email, but there is a stirring excitement,too. Thanks for conveying both, so honestly and in raw form. I love looking back on my blog and diary account of my first few days of Nicaragua, and I have remembered them yet again through your words.
It sounds like JVC has set up the month to prepare you to be as effective and equipped as possible. May it be so!
Eat lots of mangos! Cheers from Seattle!
Aleida
Sup bro! Things sound exciting. We will miss you in group, but I'll try to keep you connected. Our prayers are with you.
Oh, and thought you might like to see what I've been spending some time on the last few days. I think I started it cause I got too bored.
http://wisdomwhisperings.blogspot.com/
Later bro!
Post a Comment